4.14.2014

Down Under

So, how’s life in New Zealand?
People often ask me this question, amongst others.

Like: so, you are living now in Australia I heard?

No, in New Zealand. Even further away.

But how’s life in New Zealand? Oh, I guess now I have to disappoint a bit. I don’t really have an answer. I’m living here. Working here. And of course doing some travelling too. Hey, I bet a lot of people in Belgium are living and working there. And doing some travelling around. But still, it’s different over here. For one thing, everything is a lot more relaxed over here. If you’re not a big fan of nitpicking and stress, this is a good place to live.

The big drag is of course all the things to do outdoors. The beach is right next to the city. The Waitakere Ranges park just half an hour driving away.
 
View on Karekare beach

 There is still this concept of “the middle of nowhere”. Like in, the closest shop, that would be about one hour drive away. Something to keep in mind if you are travelling around. Thats’s some contrast with most of Europe.

You can’t have everything in life they say. There is no such thing for instance as visiting the birthday party of one of my cousins. That’s now an 18,000 km trip away. Halfway around the world, literally. And it can be a challenge to meet new people, starting out alone. And being a shy guy like me isn’t helping this either.

But it’s not like being cut off either. There is this cable running across the Tasman Sea carrying the Internet this way. And one of the things to do is putting stuff on Facebook and such. And, they said, I should definitely make a blog. I have Onderaan de wereld, in Dutch. And now, for who doesn’t speak Dutch, there is this one.

Greetings from down under,
Roeland

No comments:

Post a Comment